A few points about Riya.
First of all, great service. Love the face recognition and design of the site. I used the client to upload a good 2000 pictures so far and while there were a few technical glitches, such as error pages coming up etc., all is good. The client is definitely holding up for me. I uploaded some pictures from a trip to Italy last year and it recognized the face of Michelanglo’s David, faces of statues in the Vatican etc. It even transcribed Latin inscriptions. Now that’s what I call impressive.
But, given that this is a beta and I assume the Riya guys are looking for some feedback, I just want to point out a few issues (I am sure they will all be fixed after the beta):
- can’t move pictures from album to album
- can’t create albums
- can’t sort pictures in albums
- no subfolders for albums – I get the tagging idea and the idea that one can search for pictures, but when I send a link to an album to my parents – they don’t know that
- it would be nice if I could allow certain users to see all my albums or just selected ones, but for now, we can only do this an an album by album basis
- can’t batch edit location, tags for a certain number of selected pictures (for location, it seems to be one by one, or maybe also based on the album name), for tags, you can tag all or a single one, nothing in between
- when searching by date, not all pictures for this date come up
- I love the location search with the google maps interface – great idea – just make the tagging of the locations easier – please?
User interface and feedback:
- when displaying the album, the album breaks at a random number and you have to click to continue – it would be nicer if you could just set how many pictures per page to display
- once I am in the second part of an album and I click on a picture – once I go back, I am above the fold again and have to click my way back towards the end of the album
- sometimes it is not clear when faces were recognized and when the recognition is going to run
- it runs – don’t get me wrong, but the feedback the user gets is not clear
- not a bad idea, but why hide this training mode which is one of the easiest of the three different modes?
- I would really appreciate an option to select the subfolders I want to trasnfer – right now, I can only select a folder and all subfolders, or I have to go one by one, which, given that the recognition and transfer take a while and that riya recommends to let it run overnight, can be a bit of a hassle